Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Call

I talked with Marilyn Krieger on the phone last night and there is a plan in place for Georgie. First of all.. the things I DIDN'T know.

I read somewhere that if you extend out your fingers to a cat to a cat it means your claws are out..WRONG.. the closed fist is actually more of a threat. The only thing extended should be the index finger. I did know about the greeting ritual but now I will be mindful of how.

Second.. cats can mark scent with the pads of their paws.. so Georgie is going to get lots of new scratching things and toys today so that she can mark her entire territory and have fun in it.

I was absolutely on the right track with giving her a firm schedule she can rely on, this builds up her confidence and security. I needed to find a food she absolutely LOVES and as luck would have it.. my portion of food donated to us by Purina arrived last night. Georgie LOVES Fancy Feast and will lick the bowl totally clean.

My next trick is to find treats Georgie loves and will respond to. I have some free ones that were donated I will try and I am also going to try dehydrated chicken that most cats go nuts for. Janet tells me there is a very good one in the dog food aisle, it just needs breaking up into little pieces.

The jury is still out with me whether Georgie has hearing impairment, I noticed this morning her ears are mobile which would indicate she has hearing but we can't take her to the vet for an examination yet. We will. But we need to be further along with Georgie so that a vet visit will not upset her.

I do have a concern that we will do a lot of work with Georgie and she will be considered adoptable and then someone will undo all the work we have put into her. She is a very pretty girl though a bit peculiar with not tail, but she has a very lovely face.

So after shopping for Georgie I will update you all.

1 comment:

Dragonsally said...

I didn't know that about the index finger. Huh!