Sunday, July 17, 2011

Georgie Day Two

As is often the case with best laid plans.. my plans for Georgie got overhauled this morning.

I don't know if you have ever been attacked full on by a 6lb cat with ears laid back and coming out punching and snarling, but if you haven't I can tell you it is a scary experience. But I can't afford to be scared of Georgie.. and she can't afford it either. I did the only thing I could do.. I faced her down. I refused to retreat, clapped my hands hard several times and said.. Georgie! NO! It took her a few seconds to work out what was happening and when she did she slunk down glaring at me, I glared back, she glared, I glared back.. she turned her head, I didn't. Finally I get the slink away I have seen so often when two cats come face to face and the less Dominant of the two backs down. Thank you my darling sister for teaching me to face down a charging mare protecting her foal when I was just 10 years old.. that really helped now.

James was also attacked this morning.. he made the mistake of turning his back and she charged and scratched him.. he won't be making that mistake again.

To be honest, had I not known this cats history I might have said she should be euthanized immediately, I can't see anyone wanting to adopt a cat that will come in full attack mode meaning to do harm. Then I talked to Janet, then I saw a photo of Georgie sitting with a baby and started scratching my head. Bewildering.

Then I discover Georgie HATES change and even attacked her former owner when she returned after being away for a few days.

So I decided that we need to give her a chance to settle. With that in mind I am leaving fresh water and food down for her to eat as she wants. I don't want to put further stress on her when she is already stressed out.

I looked in on her earlier and I got grumbling, growling and undulating yells coming from the corner.. I walked casually away again and left her. Tonight I went in to get her dishes and put fresh water and food down. Not a sound, I couldn't see her either but I knew where she was hiding so I was careful not to turn my back. I did what I had to do and it was obvious from the spotted behind I could now see she had peeked out and retreated again

I am hoping that tomorrow she is relaxed enough in her Feliway scented room to come out and play. I got some very cool string toys for her. That will be the first step of the journey to bonding with her before I can even attempt to start to address her issues.

I still think it is going to be important with Georgie that she has routine in her life, feeding, play periods, attention periods and she needs to learn that those will end when WE feel like it and not Georgie.

And although this morning I felt a bit discouraged I am going to be cultivating utter confidence in myself that I can turn Georgie around. As my hero Cesar Milan would say.. I need to radiate a calm and confident energy only using loud sound to discourage her if she attacks.

No comments: