Monday, July 18, 2011

Pencils, Georgie, and Bursting Excitement!

This morning I went to check on Georgie and her food and water. It looks like she has eaten virtually nothing at all and her litter tray looks barely used too. Same old too.. crouched in the corner yowling and hissing.

All too aware of how important it is to get this right with Georgie I told Janet this morning that I wish I could work with Marilyn Krieger. And guess what??? Yeah!!!!!! I am going to work with Marilyn Krieger on Georgie!!! THE Marilyn Krieger, Cat Whisperer, Cat Behaviourist, Author of Naughty No More and an ace with clicker training. I am.. oh words just fail me. I would LOVE to be a cat behaviourist and to work with this lady is almost as good for me as winning the lottery.. well.. almost. But the biggest thing here is that I will have guidance and instruction for dealing with a truly difficult case and whether we succeed or fail everything I learn will benefit my fosters in the future.

This afternoon I had a brainwave. Georgie's owner used to toss pencils and Georgie LOVES to play fetch with pencils. I couldn't find pencils but I found some pencil crayons, I figured that to Georgie pencils are fun, good things and it might break the ice.

Going into the room greeted by growling and hissing. I called out to Georgie and after a few calls out she came, low to the ground, yowling and hissing, she was about to charge when, right at that moment, I tossed her a pencil. Georgie stopped in her tracks, she sniffed at the pencil, still hissing at me but stopping long enough to sniff the pencil. I crouched down and started talking to her softly, once again she came hissing, once again I tossed a pencil and just as before she stopped and examined the pencil. As she came forward again I held my ground, spoke to her kindly and held out the pencil turned sideways on to Georgie, this time she came right up to the pencil and examined it in my hand. Then she turned and ran away, she dived into her cave and commenced hissing and yowling again. She reminded me so much of Golden Boy when he first arrived but Golden Boy had Squeaker to help his confidence. Right now Georgie has no one but Georgie.

But tomorrow hopefully, Georgie will have me and Marilyn. Please pray for a happy ending for Georgie.

2 comments:

Dragonsally said...

Wow Shantra, this is a challenge. I really do hope that between you and Marilyn you get progress with Georgie

Shantra said...

No kidding! Thanks for staying with me, I will be reporting day by day.