Saturday, October 10, 2009

Shelter Saturday


Every Saturday afternoon is spent at our local County Animal Shelter taking care of the orphans. It has been a normal part of the week's routine for more than a year now. This afternoon was very special.

A few months ago we had a tan color mix puppy in the shelter, I could never forget her. She had small wounds all over her face and head and a young couple stopped by her cage. The girl asked me where she got all the marks so I went back to the exam room to find out and I remember the almost numbing and overwhelming sadness. I went back to the girl and quietly told her the puppy was rescued from a gang of teens who were torturing her in the street, the marks were all cigarette burns. I saw her fists clench and her eyes fill with tears, it took several moments before she composed herself and choked out they would like to see her please. She was only 4 months old.

We went into one of the introduction rooms and the puppy was cowering, tail between her legs. I told them to please not feel sorry for her because of what they had been told but please treat her like the beautiful, cute little pup she was and give her positive energy to build her confidence. As I watched them with her and I learned more about them I knew they were the right family for her. No children, the husband training to be a veterinary tech at school and 2 other dogs at home, both rescue dogs. Sure enough they brought their dogs to meet her and they took her home.

Today I walked into one of the cat rooms and there they were! They had photos of a fast growing and beautiful Beatrix with her family, the scars barely showing at all. His Mom had come to get a cat and chose a pretty calico female that had just been seperated from her kittens. A wonderful home. The staff were able to see the photos of Bea, they remembered her too as such a sweet puppy. These animals amaze me. Those that have been through the most awful cruelty and neglect at the hands of humankind and yet.. will keep on giving unconditional love and loyalty.

The photo above is of Benjamin, a joyful and pretty black and white cocker spaniel, I have a BIG weakness for those. According to a fellow volunteer he was brought in several days ago as a stray. At first they thought that he was obese until they weighed him and realized his coat was so matted he just looked huge. In fact it was so matted they couldn't even get a needle in through it to take blood, they had sedate him fully to shave it all off because he was in so much pain and the skin underneath so bad and he stunk to high heaven. Just like my Kasey.. but that is a story for another day.

It snowed today, not much more to say about that except when I told my husband he said, oh just SHUT UP! Which I think sums that up!

A stroller arrived for Sakura on Friday and I got a matching blanket for it and took her out for a little stroll when I got home. I am not sure what she thought about it, but she calmed when she sniffed it was me and seemed very interested in everything going on around her. It will be great when we have our pack walks and then we can all go together. Now I really will be known as that nutty cat lady. It must be love, I got rid of those stroller things years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved to hear that Bea's story had a happy ending too it. Thank you so much for volunteering your time to help animals while they are waiting for their new families. You do so many good things! God Bless!