Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Hallowe'en

Halloween started with a lay in and a mercy dash from the shelter. Fellow volunteer Wendy had some very sick kittens and said she was told I had a magic potion. Sure enough each kitten was bone thin and losing weight fast, fading kitten syndrome, the sickness that took 3 of my foster litter of 6 and this was a litter of 7. I rushed home and came back with the 2 tubes of Benebac I had. It is the one thing a foster kit should never be without and it is not foolproof but when it will help it's effects are dramatic. Wendy held her little kitties while I poured this yellow ointment stuff in their little mouths. I wait to hear if it will help them. They are bone thin and throwing up.
Benebac balances the digestive system, kind of like giving a probiotic yogurt where the Mom has failed to pass that on to her kittens and this Mom was sick herself. There is another litter of kittens there, these kittens look well. People brought them in because their cat had 7, finished feeding, they don't want them. Oh WHY don't people get their cats spayed and neutered! Another lady bought a cat in she had caught. She couldn't bear to see it die in the winter cold. It had attacked her, she didn't know she had saved it from the winter cold, but probably not from death. A cute little Chihuahua is in one of the exam cages, one moment she is licking me through the bars the next she is in full attack, no reason. This is the stuff of rescue.




On to Halloween night. This is the Betty that the Tall Dark One won me from the crane machine at the supermarket. I had wanted Red Devil Betty but he couldn't get her, so he got the pumpkin one instead, Sakura likes her, because I do.

Tonight was the first night in years hubby has been home. It was fun. They came by almost the hundred, the Zombies, the knights, the pumpkins and ladybugs, the Dracula's, the ghouls, the Princesses, one stunning silver robot complete with flashing lights. They came in sackcloth and ashes, satin and lace, one looked like she was wearing Mom's lingerie, that was kind of scary sweet. I had bought a simple little Bratz bit of make up to give my Princess who has been here every year for 3 years.. but she didn't show. So I gave it to a cute spanish flamenco dancer in red and black, her hair trimmed with a black silk rose. She was pretty and pretty chubby. Why her the Tall Dark One asked. She was big, but oh so pretty, it made her night, that was all the reason I needed, that one smile and the joyful glow in those dark brown spanish eyes.

Then we had a really big surprise.



Our Grandson Jake arrived on his very first Trick or Treat night. Here he is with the Tall Dark One and me. His first year going to the door and able to say Trick or Treat all by himself.

Would you like your Halloween Mouse Sakura?




It was a beautiful night.

2 comments:

Dragonsally said...

Oh, look at the adorable monkey!

The way you've described your evening -that's why I'd like to experience a real Halloween just once!

I hope the poor little kittens survive. It must be heartbreaking seeing them like that.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog julie!!! And I think i reognised that little monkey in yoru blog !:)